Images are an integral part of the content marketing strategy of any website. It has always been a vital means of communication. Research has shown 65% of humans are visual learners. One of the main advantages of images is that they remove any language barrier. Over 3.2 billion images are shared over the internet every day. Using images can improve user experience and attention on the web. It can convey complex messages easily. The best images attract the user and convey information. Google ranks websites on various parameters including images. Images also help improving SEO ranking. Photo editors help your images stand out. In this blog, we focus on the best free photo editors in the market.
Features of a good photo editor
Before you opt for paid or free photo editor, you need to know the essential features of a good photo editor.
- Ease of use – the program should have short learning and ideally have a drag and drop interface. You should be able to access tutorials, Wiki, guides, and forums online to learn to use the photo editors.
- Templates – A powerful photo editor should have templates, filters, and presets that help you modify visuals and create new ones.
- Works with different file types – You should be able to import different file types like JPEG, PNG, TIFF, GIF, PSD, PDF, and RAW. The photo editors should be able to handle different video formats as well.
- Basic photo setting – the photo editor should be able to save high-quality images in small sizes. Large images can affect the loading time of your website and lead to lower conversion rates. Some free photo editors let you create images for social media and post directly.
- Accessibility- The program should work on multiple platforms.
Best free photo editors
Pixlr is one of the most popular free photo editors in the market. Pixlr has two versions – PixlrX for basic users and Pixlr E for more advanced users. These versions are available in free and paid versions. Pixlr works on Web, Mac, Windows, iOs, and Android.
Pixlr is an online photo editor that allows you to create more professional edits. You can use the library of design templates, pre-made filters, and collages. It is easy to remove the background from your images. It is very easy to use.
Some features of Pixlr:-
- Tutorial for beginners
- Free vector graphic editing
- Selection of free stock photos
- Pre-made templates and filters.
Canva is primarily a graphic design tool, but it is widely used as a free photo editor. Users use Canva to create their social media images and make marketing material like flyers, ebooks, and newsletters. It has a large selection of ready-to-use templates, stock photos, vectors, and illustrations.
Canva is easy to use and has drag and drop customization options. The premium version of Canva gives you additional editing options.
- Large collection of stock images, stickers, and vectors
- Drag-and-drop customizable text
- Add filters and effects to your photos
- Crop your images for social media
- Use the pre-made template for your online content.
3. Movavi Simple Photo Editor
Movavi is one of the best free photo editors in the market. The editor can be used on Mac and Windows. It has a simple interface and has tools like cropping, flips, rotate, and straighten images.
You can insert images and stickers in existing photos. It is easy to create collages using the editor. It is the best offline photo editing software available.
The top features of Movavi Simple Photo Editor are:-
- Photo cropping and resizing
- Rotate, flip, and straighten images
- Insert pre-made images and stickers
- Restore and enhance older picture
- Easy to install and use
Pixelied is a graphic design tool for social media networks and YouTube. You can create images for Soundcloud, Etsy, and ebooks. It is easy to create images as Pixelied as a drag and drop editor. The platform has several templates, shapes, icons, and illustrations that you can add to your images.
You can import images from Unsplash and Pixabay. The program has a short learning curve. It is easy to modify your images.
The best features of Pixelied are:-
- Ready-made templates
- Large collection of stock images
- Background remover
- Advanced editor feature
5. Adobe Photoshop Express
Adobe Photoshop has become synonymous with photo editing. You can use free Adobe Photoshop Express for editing photos. Photoshop Express offers photo editing features like red-eye fixing, cropping, and collage creation. It is available for Windows, iOs and Android devices.
Adobe Photoshop Express is available in free and premium versions. Adobe Photoshop Express’s auto-enhance feature is popular. The features automatically adjust the light and color to improve your photos. Alternatively, you can manually edit your photos. The editor transform, crop, and rotates the picture. Photoshop Express allows you to export and edit pictures from Google Photos, Facebook, and DropBox.
Features of Adobe Photoshop Express
- User-friendly tools like a blemish, healing, and perspective adjustment.
- Library of themes, filters, effects, and fonts
- Edit, retouch and combine photos
- In-app tutorial and editing
- Upload directly to social media
Gimp is one of the most popular free photo editors online. You can use it for drawing as well. It has an image manipulation processor has start-of-the-art editing system built for professionals. Operating Gimp may be complicated but is a versatile and flexible product.
Gimp allows you to customize your editing experience. You can add unique filters, brushes, and change the interface designs. You can apply perspective changes and apply changes to isolated areas of your photos.
Some of the best features of GIMP are:-
- Custom interface for simple user experience
- Easy to use digital retouching features
- Different file formatting options.
- Download brushes and filters required
Fotor is a popular free photo editor. It is user-friendly, web-based, and feature-packed. You can create collages and edit your photos without downloading any complicated software. You can enhance your pictures easily with over 13 options in tabs. Use Fotor to apply photo-editing techniques like filters and remove unwanted distortions from your pictures.
Fotor allows users to remove red-eyes, add custom borders, and other custom photo effects. If you are a novice and are learning photo editing techniques, Fotor is a great option to get you started.
Some features of Fotor are:-
- Resize and format pictures in one click
- Extensive library of photo effects, custom stickers, and frames
- Many editing features
- A good text editing tool
- Collage tool
Snapseed is a powerful mobile-friendly free photo editor. Snapseed is available on iOs and Android and is easy to use. Snapseed allows users to highlight specific areas in the image and modify only that area. You can adjust the color, brightness, blur, and sharpness on a selected area or the entire image. You can edit the picture by one-click options.
Snapseed has a rich collection of filters and tools to modify pictures.
The features of Snapseed can be summarized below –
- Large collection of filters
- Lots of options in the tool tabs
- Allows users to crop, rotate and fix the perspective of the picture
- Brush tool to correct specific area of the picture
- Get rid of unwanted images
Taler is a free photo editor primarily designed to edit photographs for your social media accounts. You can use Taler to make your brand stand out. The program has some great templates that are tailor-made for platforms Instagram and Facebook. Shopify built the platform, the program includes designs suited for online stores and businesses. Taler works on iOS and Android.
Some best features of Taler:-
- Custom templates for social media
- Excellent drag and drop editor
- Text tools for resizing and enhancing your message
- Emojis, stickers, and shapes
- Powerful overlays and filters
Instasize is a popular free photo editor. It has a simple interface, with photo filters, one-click clarity editing, exposure management tools, etc.
Instasize was initially started for Instagram. It is now used for different visual social media channels like Snapchat and TikTok. You can resize your picture on social media.
Some of the noteworthy features of Instasize are:-
- Editing tools like saturation, color, and contrast
- Video and photo cropping for social media
- Unique filters and photo borders
- Several templates including making collages
- Large collection of fonts and text
Polarr is a browser-based free photo editor for modifying pictures. The editor lets you add filters, change picture size, and much more. Polarr has impressive filters and one-click fixes.
You can edit your pictures like contrast change, highlights, brightness updates, and aspect ratio-based cropping.
The top features of Polarr –
- Support different image formats
- Quality setting options
- Lots of filters and color temperatures
- Quick spot removal and fixing options
- Cropping and aspect-ratio control
- Batch processing